Monday, November 10, 2014

Different Strokes For Different Folks


Homeschooling is a choice that a lot of parents are choosing today for various reasons. I know for me it all started when my daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers and I started to learn how that meant her mind would work differently than what the schools would allow for. Fortunately, this happened while she was still in preschool so I never had to send her to a brick and mortar school but we did start off by trying PA Cyber School only to find in that first year that it really wasn't a good fit for us. From there we went on to do some hands on type of school throughout the elementary years (unit studies, lapbooks and more). Eventually this led to schooling at home, only to once again come to the realization that this wasn't going to work for us either. So, now we unschool. Fortunately, PA state laws make it relatively easy for us to do this today whereas in years past it wasn't so easy. Of course, it also helps that we're in our high school years so all of the basic "need to know" type of stuff has already been learnt. Nevertheless, I tell you this so that you can understand that I really am knowledgeable about a lot of different types of homeschooling today, as well as the many advantages to engaging in them. I also understand that what's going to work for one family won't necessarily work for another family and that what may work in one season of life may not work in another (i.e. I honestly don't believe that I could have unschooled throughout the elementary school years unfortunately). Nonetheless, I still think it's important to keep an open mind and explore our options. I hope that's something that you'll do with me here in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment